Double murderer fights to downgrade prison statusBy Laura Herbert
October 23, 2012
A double murderer who killed one of the country’s most notorious paedophiles is campaigning to be downgraded from a high-risk prisoner.
Michael Peter Cain was already serving a life sentence for a 1987 murder when he strangled and killed fellow inmate Leslie ‘Catweazle’ Bailey at Whitemoor Prison, in Cambridge, in 1993.
Bailey was serving a long sentence for killing and sexually abusing seven-year-old Mark Tildesley, from Rose Court in Wokingham, in 1984 and the manslaughter of Jason Swift, who lived a children’s home in Islington in 1992.
Mark was kidnapped from a funfair in Wellington Road on June 1, 1984. His body has never been found.
Bailey was part of a notorious paedophile gang which included Sidney Cooke.
Police believe Mark was lured away from the fair on the promise of a bag of sweets before being tortured and killed by the gang in a caravan.
Since he was first put behind bars, Cain, now an inmate at Frankland Prison, in Durham, has been classified as a high risk ‘Category A’ prisoner but is now trying to convince a High Court judge he can be downgraded.
At the High Court last Wednesday Tim Buley, defending Cain, branded the Government’s latest refusal to downgrade Cain, in April last year, as unfair.
He said the governor of Frankland Prison himself recommended that Cain no longer needed to be held in high security conditions and his behaviour record behind bars had been described as ‘exemplary’.
A prison officer’s report on Cain said he was ‘helpful and approachable’ and well liked by other inmates.
Matthew Slater, representing the Secretary of State for Justice, said Cain had been ‘in denial’ about his involvement in Bailey’s murder for more than 15 years before finally accepting his guilt in 2009.
Mr Justice Stadlen is expected to reserve his decision on Cain’s challenge until a later date.