Fresh warning after four poisioned by carbon monoxide in Berkshire
May 23, 2012
Firefighters have issued a warning over carbon monoxide after four people were poisoned by the gas in Berkshire.
Last week, The Wokingham Times reported how a family of one Wokingham woman are raising awareness of the “silent killer” following her death in 2010.
Now the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a warning after four people from a house in Maidenhead were taken to hospital suffering from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Group manager for prevention Paul Jacques said: “The best way to safeguard your family against the dangers of CO is to invest in a carbon monoxide detector.”
Katie Haines, of Barkham Road, was found unconscious at home after a faulty boiler leaked CO.
She was later pronounced dead and her family has set up the Katie Haines Memorial Trust.
For more information about carbon monoxide, log on to the Health and Safety Executive’s website www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm