Sleeping man's near miss as book catches on fireBy Jon Nurse
February 21, 2013
A sleeping man had a near miss when his cigarette set a book he was reading on fire.
A crew from Wokingham fire station responded to a report of a flat fire in Cockayne Court extra care housing in Arnett Avenue, Finchampstead, at 10.15pm last night.
Firefighter Rudy Gallagher said: "We arrived and a gentleman had fallen asleep with a lit cigarette resting on a book.
"It had set the book alight and made a lot of smoke. It set the alarms off fairly quickly and a nurse came to help and also breathed in quite a bit of smoke."
The team opened the windows to clear the smoke and attended to the man, believed to be in his 60s, until police and a paramedic arrived.
The firefighters were at the scene for 45 minutes.