Firefighter offers reassurance after Winnersh chimney fire scareBy Becky Barnes
January 01, 2013
'If in doubt always call us out' is the message from a firefighter after a chimney fire proved to be a false alarm.
A fire crew from Wokingham station were called to a home in Melbourne Avenue, Winnersh at 4.30pm today after a man feared his log fire was getting out of control.
Firefighter Paul Keen said when the crew arrived the fire had not spread and a dry log which had flared up and burnt quicker than expected triggered the scare.
He said: "If you are in any doubt, call us out - it is no problem, it is what we are there for.
"It is better to be safe than sorry than for your house to burn down because you did not seek assistance and reassurance from us."
The crew returned to the station by 5pm after checking the fire was safe and reassuring the man.