Family escape house fire in CharvilBy Jon Nurse
September 26, 2012
A mother and her children escaped what could have been a 'catastrophic fire' at a house in Charvil this afternoon.
A fire in a downstairs toilet started from a cigarette lighter at a home in View Vale and was halted by some quick thinking by the family.
The flame caught on a small pile of clothes, prompting the mother to contain the blaze and call for help at around 1pm.
Fire crews from Wokingham Road and Caversham Road fire stations were sent to the street and put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.
Wokingham Road fire station crew manager Che Scott said: "If we weren't called sooner it could have been very bad.
"They had the sense to open the window and shut the door - had the fire spread it could have been catastrophic.
"The source of ignition was a lighter and we believe at the moment it was accidental. The fire was alight but not roaring when we got to the toilet.
"They were quite distressed when we arrived and had no idea how the fire had started. We stayed to talk with them because their smoke alarm wasn't working."
Firefighters attended the scene for around 30 minutes.