'Confusion' as hosepipe ban remains in forceBy Victoria Smith
June 07, 2012
The hosepipe ban will remain in place for South East Water customers, despite Thames Water announcing an imminent end to its restrictions.
South East Water says although rainfall in the last fortnight has boosted river and reservoir levels, it has had little impact on the region's groundwater sources.
The firm, along with three other south east water firms, says the water use restrictions are likely to stay in place until at least the autumn.
The confirmation follows Thames Water announcement that it expects to be able to withdraw its temporary use ban restricting the use of hosepipes "sooner rather than later".
Sutton and East Surrey Water, Veolia Water Central and Veolia Water Southeast have confirmed their bans will remain in place.
Paul Butler, managing director of South East Water said: “We understand that customers could be confused and frustrated as to why some companies are considering lifting restrictions, while we have to keep ours in place. The fact is the amount of water currently available in our underground reserves simply doesn’t support that course of action, and ahead of what could be much warmer, drier months.
“South East Water gets 75 per cent of the water it supplies from underground supplies, which are very low – some are approaching levels that we’ve never seen before. Conversely other companies get the majority of water supplies from rivers or reservoirs which responded well to all the early spring rainfall.
“Clearly drought affects different regions in different ways, and so we will continue to remind our customers that restrictions still apply through our water efficiency and publicity campaigns over the summer.
“We would like to take this opportunity to thank them for the extraordinary efforts they have made so far, while reassuring them that we are also doing everything we can to secure their water supplies.”