Walter Infant's tribute after five-year-old's sudden deathBy Lewis Rudd
February 22, 2012
Staff and children at a Wokingham school are in mourning following the sudden death of a five-year-old classmate earlier this month.
Children at Walter Infant School in Murray Road have been promised a special time of reflection to remember Syed Rayyan Mehdi, a foundation stage pupil who passed away on Tuesday, February 7, while receiving treatment for a bacterial infection at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading.
Headteacher Vanessa Mituram said: “The school is very sad to learn of the sudden and unexpected death of a pupil in foundation stage Rayyan Mehdi.
“Our sympathy and thoughts are with Mr and Mrs Mehdi and their family at this very tragic and difficult time.
“Each class will have a special time of reflection to remember Rayyan in their own way.”
An inquest into the child’s death has been opened and adjourned by the coroner for Berkshire, with a further hearing to be held at Reading’s Civic Centre in May.
A statement released by the Thames Valley Health Protection Unit explained Syed Rayyan was initially found to have symptoms of a respiratory illness, with tests later confirming the presence of the invasive Group A Streptococcus (iGAS) infection.
Group A Streptococcus is a bacterial infection occasionally found in the throat and on the skin, and can be carried for long periods of time without causing any illnesses.
A spokeswoman for the Health Protection Unit said: “The child had symptoms of respiratory illness and tests later confirmed the presence of invasive Group A Sterptococcus (iGAS) infection.
“The TVHPU has identified all close contacts of the child and appropriate antibiotic treatment was advised as a preventative measure where needed.
“There are no wider public health concerns and school routine should continue as normal.”