Redwood may be phone hack victimBy Caroline Cook
July 21, 2011
Wokingham MP John Redwood has been told by police he is among a list of victims who may have been targeted in the News of the World phone hacking scandal.
The Metropolitan Police force is investigating a list of 4,000 targets they think may have been victims of phone hacking by journalists working for the national newspaper.
Mr Redwood confirmed he had been contacted by police officers telling him his phone may have been hacked, but said he was not surprised by the information.
He said: “I was told but I have not made any response because I have been too busy.
“Ever since I have been on the job journalists have been trying to talk with me one way or another.
“It did not surprise me at all.”
Mr Redwood has been the member of parliament for Wokingham since 1987 and has hit the headlines in national newspapers throughout his career with his marriage and personal life being scrutinised by the media.
The Conservative MP said he did not wish to make any comments about News International, the company which owned the News of the World, and individuals who have been linked to the scandal.
He said: “I think the less people like me say about this the better. There are serious allegations around and I do not wish to do anything until there is a proper investigation.
“I think anything politicians say or do would only get in the way. I am not going to provide any comment on named individuals. I do not think that would be helpful.”
The News of the World ceased publication on Sunday, July 10, following allegations journalists had hacked into the phones of murdered teenager Milly Dowler and the parents of murdered Soham schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman.
Further allegations have also emerged over the last month that mobile phones owned by relatives of UK soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan may also have been hacked.
Mr Redwood said victims of tragedies should be treated with “great respect” and newspapers should take action where that has been disregarded.
He said: “I share the general view that people who are dragged into public arena by tragedy affecting their lives need to be treated with great respect and care and I think everyone agrees about that and where that has not happened the papers need to apologise.”
A spokesperson for the Met said the force could not confirm the names of individuals who have been approached as possible victims of the phone hacking scandal.
The spokesperson said: “We are not prepared to discuss whether any individual details may or may not appear in documents in the Metropolitan Police Service’s possession.”
Mr Redwood said he has not taken any further action at this stage because he had been too busy but said he would think about it when he has more time to consider the matter.