Dramatic photos after electrical fault causes fire
April 28, 2011
A family were forced to move out after a fire destroyed the roof of their Wokingham home.
These dramatic photos show fire crews tackling the inferno at the house in Deacon Close.
The blaze, which is thought to have been started by an electrical fault in the roof, is believed to have weakened the ceilings, making it too dangerous to live there.
Only one of the family-of-four was at home when the fire started last Thursday at around 9pm but a neighbour was able to warn her after spotting smoke coming from the roof.
Five fire crews spent most of the night tackling the blaze but were able to rescue some of the family’s treasured items from the house.
Neighbour Bruce Titheridge said: “My wife and I were at home watching a film when one of our neighbours banged on the door to let us know what was happening.
“It was a big operation.
“It was then a case of standing back and watching the whole thing unfold.
“It’s quite shocking.
“The worst thing for me was the fact you could see sunlight through where the roof of one of the bedrooms should have been.
“It’s a bit worrying as all the houses here are built in the same way – I shall certainly be buying a smoke alarm for the attic.”