Family pays tribute to carbon monoxide victim Katie HainesBy Alice Murphy
February 20, 2010
The family of Katie Haines, who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, have paid tribute to a 'perfect daughter'.
Mrs Haines, who got married in December, was found dead in the bathtub by her husband, Richard, at their home in Barkham Road, Wokingham on Thursday night.
Mr Haines and his parents, Gordon and Jackie, were taken to hospital suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning but were discharged on Saturday.
Mrs Haines, who was a contributor for The Wokingham Times' sister paper the Bracknell Forest Standard, leaves behind her husband, parents Gordon and Avril and brother and sister, Adam and Lydia.
Her father Gordon Samuel said: "Katie was the most wonderful daughter imaginable.
Leave a tribute to Katie here
"We have been told by the doctors that she appears to have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, possibly from a boiler, but do not wish to speculate on this until we have the result of further medical tests.
"Tragically, Richard discovered her body after returning home from work on Thursday night and despite his attempts to resuscitate her she was pronounced dead later in hospital.
"My heart goes out to him for what he has been through.
"Katie was the perfect daughter who was as bright as she was beautiful. She had a smile that absolutely lit up her face and was unforgettable to anyone who saw it.
"Katie had been with Richard for five years and was so excited about her wedding. They were the most perfect couple and absolutely adored each other.
"She looked so beautiful - like a Hollywood film star - in her wedding dress on the day and I will never forget her twirling around on the dance floor, radiant with happiness. Katie was so happy to be embarking on her life as Mrs Haines and was looking forward to having a family with Richard."
Mrs Haines, a former journalist, had been working as a press officer for Oxford University.
Her father added: "Katie was such a huge presence in all our lives and I don't know how myself, her mother Avril and husband, Richard, will fill this void in our lives.
"This is every parent's worst nightmare and we now ask that we be left alone to grieve at this very difficult time."