City Woman - Be sales savvyBy Leigh Mencarini
December 24, 2008
The excitment of Christmas will soon be forgotten – so what better pick-me-up than a splurge in the Boxing Day sales? City Woman discovers best buys in the town centre and top tips for surviving the bargain frenzy
After weeks of stalking the high street looking for Christmas presents, you might have thought City Woman would be sick of shopping.
Not so. For there’s just one thing to look forward to once the wrapping paper is torn, and the turkey is demolished. Sales!
This year we’ve been spoilt for choice with early bargains in a bid to keep the tills jingling through the festive season; the VAT cut and seasonal giveaways meant thousands of eager shoppers flocked to Broad Street Mall and The Oracle during the weekends leading up to the big day.
However, this doesn’t mean there will be any fewer bargains to be had come Boxing Day.
As the hustle and bustle of the sales might not be everyone’s idea of fun, help is at hand for some of you hardcore bargain hunters.
House of Fraser will be hosting sales survival workshops throughout the day, with help and advice from resident personal shoppers and floor managers. They will present the store’s best buys and key trends for the next season.
“There are currently so many great deals on the high street that shoppers can afford to be selective and savvy with their spending,” says HoF spokeswoman Rachel Weedman.
“It’s important to make your clothes multi-task for you and complement your lifestyle. You can create different looks and encapsulate the hottest trends with a few key items.
“People should use the sales as an opportunity to invest in their wardrobe for the seasons ahead as well as having a very well deserved dose of retail therapy.”
There’ll also be House of Fraser helpers on hand at the ‘Sales Pit Stop’ in The Oracle between noon and 4pm on Boxing Day, handing out water and energy-boosting bananas should you start feeling weary and weighed down with bags.
Watch out for the department store’s competition to win a beauty hamper worth £200, too – just the ticket after a day’s hard graft.
Here’s a sneak peek at the best buys from the ladieswear and home lines, plus top tips for sales shopping.
Top sales tips
- Make sure you have a clear plan of what you want to buy. It’s always a good idea to have already tried on the items you want before the sale starts.
- At pays to ask staff for their help in locating specific items – they know the store in detail and may have seen what you are looking for on another floor or department.
- Eat before you shop – there is nothing worse than shopping on an empty stomach – and take a bottle of water with you.
- Wear layers so you can brave the winter chill outside but that are easily removed once you’re inside.
- Make sure you wear clothes which are easy to take on and off and comfortable shoes are a must.
- Above all, make sure you stay cool, calm and collected!