Roasted sticky butternut squash and broccoliBy Leigh Mencarini
October 22, 2008
Ripe for the season, butternut squash, green broccoli and red peppers are glazed in brinjal pickle for a taste sensation.
Serves 4 to 6
- 750g (1lb 11oz) butternut squash,
- deseeded and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper, crushed
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- 2 tbsp Patak’s Brinjal Pickle
- 1 tbsp lemon thyme, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, cored and cut into
- large chunks
- 6 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 225g (8oz) broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
In a roasting tray mix the olive oil, garlic, black pepper, cumin powder, Brinjal Pickle, lemon thyme and the juice of half a lime. Place the butternut squash, red pepper, red onions and garlic in the roasting dish and coat well with the marinade. Sprinkle over some sea salt and roast for 25 to 30 minutes.
2. Blanch the broccoli for one minute in boiling water, then drain.
3. Remove the roasting tray from the oven and add the broccoli, giving it a good stir before returning it to the oven for a further five to 10 minutes until tender and lightly charred.
4. Squeeze over the remaining lime juice and garnish with some fresh coriander.